Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Dee T-Shirts on eBay!


"Dee" T-Shirt #1, Screen Printed by Andy on 100% Cotton

Well, the in-laws have gone home, though we did appreciate their help.  So, what was I to do while they were here?  Just before they arrived, I drew up a quick top and shorts to add to the Dee piece I did back in July.  Then while they were here, I worked on getting it ready to print on a batch of nice heavyweight t-shirts.  It's the first time we've tried digitally separating a color image into patterns of tiny halftone dots, which allowed us to print this with red, yellow, blue, and black screens, and it worked!  It's a bit different from the traditional "process" separation using cyan, magenta, yellow, and black.  Instead, it's "simulated process" using colors that are more specific to the art.  Anyway, not too shabby for a first test, eh?

4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Andy. Looks like your registration is spot on!

    Glad to hear everything is going well on the home front too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was actually quite pleased with how these registered. There's no "trapping," everything is a "butt match" with no overlapping, so I wasn't sure if we'd be able to keep it tight enough.

      Delete
  2. It's actually pretty cool seeing the halftone dots in some parts of the print...not unlike the Ben-Day dots popularized by Roy Lichtenstein in his work. The moire patterns are neat to see as well. Personally, I really dig the look that those print artifacts give the image...not only does the piece itself have the look of the 60s, it also has the feel of the Pop Art produced during that time, both in it's style and in the look of how it's printed, if that makes any sense.

    Seems to me you are ready to crank out some fine serigraphs, if this "simulated process" method of color separation is any indication, that can take great advantage of the work you are already producing. Very impressive first test, I would say...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I'm glad it reads with that sort of "retro" look, as that's what I was hoping for. I'd actually intended to try for much finer halftones at first, then decided I liked it better this way anyway. I honestly have no idea why we got a little bit of the moire pattern in there, since we should have the screen angles rotated to avoid that, but what the heck, I like it anyway.

      Serigraphs are indeed in my near-future plan (thought I'd be starting on those last November- argh), but they'll be quite a bit different from this, actually. Here, we used digital tools to split the colors, and even though it was done "manually" on the computer, the machine still did most of the heavy lifting. For the serigraphs, those will be done completely with traditional methods, with no computer assistance. They'll be tricky to do, but I can't wait to try it.

      Delete